Eggs Benedict with Peameal Bacon on Scallion Waffles and Tomato Cream
- serves 8
Tomato cream and scallion waffles compliment this delicious egg dish by Anna Olson perfectly!Serves 4
Makes 8-10 waffles
Makes 2 cups Tomato "Cream"
2 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cup buttermilk
1 cup finely chopped scallion
oil, for greasing waffle ironTomato "Cream"
1 pint ripe cherry or grape tomatoes
½ cup canola or grapeseed oil
salt and pepperPoached Eggs with Peameal
8 slices peameal bacon, cooked
1 Tbsp white vinegar
8 large eggs
1. Stir flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine. In a separate bowl whisk melted butter, buttermilk and egg. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in scallions.
2. Preheat a waffle iron and lightly grease. Make waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions (about 1/3 cup batter for a standard waffle) and keep warm in a 250?F oven until ready to serve.Tomato "Cream"
1. Wash and place tomatoes in a jar and purée finely with an immersion blender. While blending, gradually pour in oil (mixture will emulsify and look like a tomato “mayo”). Strain sauce through a sieve, season to taste and chill until ready to serve.
2. For a twist, this recipe can be made using red, orange or yellow tomatoes. Blend each tomato colour separately with oil and strain.Poached Eggs with Peameal
1. Keep peameal warm while preparing eggs.
2. To poach eggs, fill a pot with 4 L water, add vinegar and bring to just below a simmer. Break an egg into a cup. Stir water to create a “whirlpool” in the center. Drop egg just to the side of the center (water should still be moving) and cook egg until set on the outside, but yolk still visibly soft (for “easy”), about 4 minutes. Eggs can be cooked 2 or 3 at a time. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon.
3. To assemble Eggs Benedict on Scallion Waffles with Tomato Cream, Place 2 waffles on a plate and arrange a slice of peameal bacon on each. Top with poached eggs and spoon tomato cream over. Serve immediately.