Eggs in Purgatory
- serves 6 - 8
Courtesy of Dominic Paul of Wilf & Ada's
¼ cup olive oil
2 - 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (28-oz) can whole Italian plum tomatoes, crushed
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ground black pepper
12 - 16 eggs
Salt, to taste
Grana Padano or Parmesan
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add garlic and stir while cooking for 1 to 2 minutes, until garlic starts to cook but not brown.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, cayenne, black pepper, and salt to taste.
4. Lower heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Ladle ½ cup to ¾ cups of sauce into a small pot.
6. Crack two eggs into the pot and simmer over low heat until eggs are cooked.
7. Pour contents into a small bowl and garnish with fresh arugula and cheese, to taste.
8. Repeat with remaining eggs and sauce.
Special equipment: Large pot, small pot
Leftover sauce can be refrigerated and served for up to a week, if covered properly.