Lynn Crawford's Strawberry Pavlova
- prep time 210 min
- total time 270 min
- serves 4 servings
2 cups (500 mL) sliced strawberries, divided
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (205 mL) granulated sugar, divided
½ teaspoon (2 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon (15 mL) cornstarch
3 large egg whites, room temperature
½ teaspoon (2 mL) cream of tartar
1 pinch kosher saltVanilla Cream
1 cup (250 mL) heavy (35% MF) cream
1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla
1 teaspoon (5 mL) granulated sugarChocolate Drizzle & Assembly
½ cup (125 mL) dark chocolate, chopped
½ cup (60 mL) heavy (35% MF) cream
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit/93 degrees Celsius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a mini food processor, puree 1 cup strawberries with 1 tablespoon of sugar and lemon juice, then strain through a sieve into small bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch and set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or alternatively using a hand-held mixer, beat together egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until foamy, then add sugar-cornstarch mixture in 3 batches, beating at high speed for 30 seconds after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes more, then gently fold in 2 tablespoons of reserved strawberry purée.
5. Mound meringue onto parchment paper and shape to form four 4” circles. Spoon remaining meringue into a piping bag, then make rings of meringue on top of each circle on the outer edges to form “nests.”
6. Bake meringues in preheated oven for 1 ½ hours, then turn off the oven and open door slightly ajar and let meringues cool in oven for another hour.
7. Gently place a meringue nest on each of 4 chilled dessert plates and set aside.
8. Meanwhile, in a bowl fold together remaining 1 cup sliced strawberries with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and set aside.Vanilla Cream
1. In a large bowl whip together cream, vanilla and sugar until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.Chocolate Drizzle & Assembly
1. In a double boiler, melt chocolate with whipping cream, whisking continuously until combined and shiny, remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes before using.
2. To Plate: Mound whipped cream into center of meringue nests, top with sliced strawberries and drizzle with remaining strawberry puree and chocolate sauce. Serve Immediately.