Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- prep time 0 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 2
1 head of garlic, unpeeled
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 sweet red bell pepper, julienned
1 red finger hot chili pepper, seeds removed, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
1 can whole, peeled, organic san marzano tomatoes, hand crushed (796mL)
pinch of brown sugar
2 cups chick peas
Zest of half a lemon
handful of fresh parsley, minced
5 large mint leaves, stacked, rolled up and sliced into ribbons (chiffonade)
toasted whole wheat pita, cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
2. Slice the top off of the head of garlic; lay it on some aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil and black pepper. Seal aluminum foil over garlic and roast for 40 minutes.
3. In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers and scallions into the pan, stir and coat with salt, paprika and cumin. Pour in the hand-crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Peel 4 cloves of roasted garlic and crush with a fork. Add garlic, chick peas, lemon zest, mint and parsley to the stew then stir until heated through.
5. Ladle stew into big bowls and serve with toasted whole-wheat pita wedges.