Osso Bucco with Orange and Prunes
- prep time30 min
- total time 180 min
- serves 6
1 onion, chopped
5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-cm (1/2-inch) rounds
¼ cup olive oil
6 slices veal shank, about 5 cm (2 inches) thick
½ cup Marsala (or sherry or Pineau des Charentes)
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup prunes, pitted and halved
2 Tbsp honey
3 sprig fresh thyme
3 slices fresh ginger, peeled
Salt and pepperGremolata
Grated zest of 1 orange
2 Tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 Tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. ith the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F).
2. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, soften the onion and carrots in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) oil for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Generously dredge the veal in flour. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In the same Dutch oven, brown the meat on both sides in the remaining oil. Deglaze with the Marsala. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Return the onion and carrots to the Dutch oven. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for about 90 minutes. Uncover. Turn the veal pieces and continue cooking, basting frequently, until the meat is fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.Gremolata
1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Set aside.