Penne Rigate Sauteed with Rapini and Merguez Sausage
- prep time 0 min
- total time 13 min
- serves 4
3 cups rapini, ends removed, sliced into bite sized pieces
400 grams penne rigate pasta
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 diavole fritte, crumbled (see attached recipe)
3 spicy merguez sausage
⅓ cup pecorino romano cheese (for sprinkling on finished dish)
1. Blanch the rapini by cooking it in salted boiling water for 30 seconds. Then, using a large slotted spoon, transfer the rapini into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking process.
2. Add the penne rigate to the boiling water you cooked rapini in, and cook until al dente.
3. In a pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium. Sauté garlic and crumbled diavole fritte for 2 minutes until the garlic is golden and fragrant.
4. Remove the merguez sausage from its casing and break it up into small pieces Add it to the pan and sauté for about 10 minutes. Throw in the cooked penne rigate and rapini then mix for a few minutes until the pasta is coated in spicy merguez oils and toasted garlic.
5. Serve topped with lots of freshly grated pecorino romano cheese.