Pork'n Beans with Classic Corn Dog
- serves 6
Traditional comfort food, all homemade!
1 Tbsp olive oil
¾ cup smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 cup celery, chopped fine
1 large onion, chopped fine
½ cup leeks, chopped fine
2 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup black strap molasses
2 ½ cup tomato juice
1 cup chicken stock
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 fresh whole bay leaf
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ Tbsp chipotle peppers (optional)
4-6 cups cooked white beans (soak the beans in cold water overnight; rinse and drain; boil in water for 45 mins. or until half cooked through)Duffy Corn Dog
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup fine cornmeal
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch whole cumin seeds, toasted
2 Tbsp granulated white sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 whole eggs
1 cup buttermilk
4 whole English bangers
4 6-inch bamboo skewers
2 L corn oil, for deep frying
1. Preheat a large braising pot over medium –high heat. Cook the bacon and olive oil together until the bacon is cooked halfway – add the celery, onions and leeks and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the vegetable and bacon mixture and stir gently to incorporate. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Braise the beans on your stovetop for 3-4 hours or until the beans are tender and the sauce is thickened. Remember to stir the beans periodically to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. Once cooked through- season with sea salt and cracked black pepper, add chopped fresh parsley and serve.
4. Option: You can place the braising pot in a preheated oven and bake the beans in the oven.Duffy Corn Dog
1. Preheat you deep fryer to 360 degrees F.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl. With a wire whip, combine the eggs and buttermilk together with the mixed dry ingredients; stir until no lumps form. Pierce each banger with a bamboo skewer and dip into the seasoned batter; ensure to completely cover the banger with the batter. Shake off excess batter and place the battered dog into the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining bangers and fry until golden brown.
3. Spoon a generous amount of the pork ‘n beans into a Mason jar and top with a fried corn dog.
4. Serve while still hot and enjoy.