- prep time 35 min
- total time 95 min
- serves 16
½ cup milk
½ cup water
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
4 eggsChocolate Sauce
½ cup 35% cream
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate, choppedIce Cream
Vanilla, pecan or caramel ice cream to taste
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Remove from the heat. Add the flour all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a smooth ball that pulls away from the sides of the pan.
3. Return the saucepan to the stove and cook over low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating vigorously with a wooden spoon after each addition, until the dough is smooth.
5. Fit a pastry bag with a 1-cm (1/2-inch) plain tip and fill it with the dough. Pipe 16 golf ball-sized balls onto the baking sheet. Using a moistened finger, smooth out any peaks.
6. Bake until golden, about 40 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the oven door partially and let the balls dry for about 15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.Chocolate Sauce
1. Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the sauce smooth. Keep warm or transfer to a thermos (if using outdoors).
2. Slice the tops off the pastry balls and fill with scoops of ice cream. Place tops back on. Drizzle with hot chocolate sauce.Ice Cream
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site