Roast Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
3 full heads of garlic
6-8 baking potatoes or Yukon Golds, washed and cut into quarters
2 bay leaves
1 stick butter (8 tablespoons, 4 ounces or 1/2 cup)
1 cup milk
Sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. Place the full heads of garlic in a small baking dish. Roast in the oven until they are golden, very soft and the tops have begun to bubble. This will take about 45 minutes or an hour and may be done in advance. Let cool slightly.
3. Put the potatoes into the top part of a stovetop steamer and fill the bottom part with 2-3 inches of water. Add the bay leaves to the water and then fit the top onto the bottom. Place over medium-high heat and cover with a tight fitting lid. Steam until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile gently heat the butter and milk in a small saucepan until the butter has melted.
5. When the potatoes are tender, pour off the water in the pot then place the steaming hot potatoes back in the pot. Pour in the butter milk mixture. Slice the top off the roast garlic with a serrated knife and squeeze in the roasted garlic, holding onto the root end bottom and letting the softened garlic ooze out of the top. Season with salt and pepper and mash well.