Smoked Chicken Wings
- prep time 1 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4-6
½ cup sea salt
½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup chili powder
¼ cup paprika
¼ cup fresh ground black pepper
¼ cup cumin
⅒ cup garlic powder
⅒ cup onion powder
⅒ cup cayenneChipotle Ranch Dressing
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
⅓ cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp chipotle pepper paste
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
½ tsp salt
⅒ tsp ground black pepperSmoked Wings
Boneheads wing rub
Chipotle ranch dressing
4 lb(s) whole or split chicken wings
½ cup vegetable or olive oil
Wood of your choice for smoking (Bonehead’s BBQ uses hickory)
1. Combine all ingredients.Chipotle Ranch Dressing
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.Smoked Wings
1. Preheat smoker (or grill if using the offset method) to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Rinse chicken wings and pat dry.
3. Place the wings in a foil pan or on a cookie sheet and lightly coat chicken wings with vegetable oil. (This helps the rub stick and keep the wings moist).
4. Sprinkle wings generously with Boneheads Wing Rub, making sure to turn and coat the entire wing. (You can also use a large re-sealable bag to toss the wings, first in oil and then in rub)
5. Place wings, evenly spaced, directly on the rack in the smoker for approximately 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Check the wings and turn them halfway through and adjust positions if necessary to account for any “hot spots” within the smoker so the wings will cook evenly.
7. Use the Chipotle Ranch Dressing for dipping
8. Note: Smoking times can vary greatly depending on wing size, outdoor weather conditions, smoker temperature, etc., so the above times are just guidelines. If you are unsure, having a digital probe meat thermometer handy will help determine when your wings have reached a safe temperature and are done.