Spinach and Cheese Dip
- prep time15 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 6
Chuck Hughes' creamy and flavorful spinach and cheese dip served in a warm tasty bread bowl is easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser.
1 round loaf of bread
Salt and pepperCheese Dip
4 slices of pancetta
2 cup Gruyere, grated (500 ml)
1 cup smoked raclette, grated (250 ml)
2 Tbsp flour (30 ml)
1 cup beer (250 ml)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sambal oelek (5 ml)
4 cup fresh spinach, chopped (1 litre)
Freshly ground pepper
Assorted fresh vegetables
1. Cut a one inch slice off the top of the loaf and set aside. With a paring knife, gently remove bread on the inside, making it hollow, and leave a one inch thick of bread shell along the sides and bottom to create a bowl. Cube the top and the middle of the loaf to make croutons. Set aside.Cheese Dip
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. In an ovenproof pan, fry the pancetta until golden brown and crispy. Place the pancetta on a paper towel to remove the excess fat. Next, add the croutons to the pan and coat them with the pancetta fat. Season with salt and pepper and cook in the oven for 5 minutes. Place the bread bowl in the oven along with the croutons to make it crispy. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix the cheeses with the flour. Season with freshly ground pepper.
4. In a saucepan, heat the beer and garlic and slowly add the cheese mixture. Stir until the cheese is melted. Add the sambal oelek and spinach and mix.
5. For assembling: Fill bread shell with spinach dip and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.