Spinach and Cheese Dip
- prep time 15 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 6
1 round loaf of bread
Salt and pepperCheese Dip
4 slices of pancetta
2 cups Gruyere, grated (500 ml)
1 cup smoked raclette, grated (250 ml)
2 tablespoons flour (30 ml)
1 cup beer (250 ml)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sambal oelek (5 ml)
4 cups fresh spinach, chopped (1 litre)
Freshly ground pepper
Assorted fresh vegetables
1. Cut a one inch slice off the top of the loaf and set aside. With a paring knife, gently remove bread on the inside, making it hollow, and leave a one inch thick of bread shell along the sides and bottom to create a bowl. Cube the top and the middle of the loaf to make croutons. Set aside.Cheese Dip
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. In an ovenproof pan, fry the pancetta until golden brown and crispy. Place the pancetta on a paper towel to remove the excess fat. Next, add the croutons to the pan and coat them with the pancetta fat. Season with salt and pepper and cook in the oven for 5 minutes. Place the bread bowl in the oven along with the croutons to make it crispy. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix the cheeses with the flour. Season with freshly ground pepper.
4. In a saucepan, heat the beer and garlic and slowly add the cheese mixture. Stir until the cheese is melted. Add the sambal oelek and spinach and mix.
5. For assembling: Fill bread shell with spinach dip and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. For serving: Garnish with crispy pancetta. Serve dip warm with vegetables and reserved croutons.