- prep time15 min
- total time 90 min
- serves 6
2 2 discs Basic Pie Crust (see recipe)
4 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered (or use frozen)
½ cup sugar
2 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 drizzle Milk or water for brushing
1. On a floured surface, roll the dough into thin discs. Line a 23-cm (9-inch) Pyrex or aluminum pie plate with 1 of the discs. Cut a slit in the middle of the other disc. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, tapioca, and lemon zest and juice. Spread the filling evenly in the pie shell, pressing gently. Brush the edge of the pastry with milk. Cover with the second piece of dough. Seal by crimping the top and bottom sheets of dough with a fork or your fingers. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer.
3. With the rack in the bottom position, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
4. Remove the plastic wrap. Place the frozen pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake until golden brown, about 75 minutes. Baking time for an unfrozen pie is about 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
5. Note: If you want the top crust to be a rich golden colour, brush it with egg wash before baking. To make the egg wash, lightly beat 1 egg with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) water.