Strawberry Rhubarb Fool with Irish Moss Custard
- prep time 30 min
- total time 135 min
- serves 6
1 ¼ cup milk
½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 large egg yolks
¼ cup granulated white sugar
¾ Tbsp liqueur Grand Marnier
¼ cup Irish moss
1 tsp orange zestStrawberry Rhubard Compote
2 cup rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp orange zest
2 cup strawberries, hulled and slicedVanilla Pound Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp saltShortbread Cookies
2 cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp salt
8 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extractAssembly
1. In a medium-sized stainless steel bowl, mix the sugar and yolks together with a wooden spoon. In a saucepan combine the milk and split vanilla bean on medium heat until boiling. Remove from heat and add slowly to egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling. Remove vanilla bean, scrape out seeds, and add the seeds to the egg mixture.
2. Place the egg mixture back into a medium saucepan and add the Irish moss. Cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly. When it boils, whisk mixture constantly for another 30 - 60 seconds as it thickens.
3. Remove from heat and strain. Whisk in the liqueur and the orange zest.Strawberry Rhubard Compote
1. In a large saucepan, bring the rhubarb, sugar, orange juice and zest to a simmer. Cook, stirring until slightly tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the strawberries and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Let cool.Vanilla Pound Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Butter and flour an 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch loaf pan; set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, on high, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and salt. With mixer on low, gradually add flour, beating just until combined. Pour mixture into buttered pan.
3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack, and turn upright to cool completelyShortbread Cookies
1. In a bowl, whisk flour and salt together. With mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sugar, and continue to beat until pale and fluffy, occasionally scraping down the sides of bowl, about 2 minutes more. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed, scraping sides if necessary, until flour is incorporated and dough sticks together. Turn out dough, forming into 2 disks; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 325*F. Roll out 1 disk to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out into 1 ½”inch by 3-inch cookies. Transfer to prepared baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining disk. Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes. Bake until firm and golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.Assembly
1. Place a slice of the pound cake in a small bowl. Spoon some of the strawberry-rhubarb sauce on top of the pound cake. Then top with the Irish moss custard. Garnish with a shortbread cookie and some sweet vanilla whipped cream.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site