Teri-Vani Ice-Cream Waffle
- serves 4-6
Equipment needed: Ice cream maker
Courtesy of Dennis and Jenny Miura of Miura Waffle Milk Bar
1 cup half and half cream
1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
5 egg yolks
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extractTeriyaki Sauce
½ cup sugar
½ cup mirin
2 Tbsp soy sauceAssembly
Vanilla Ice Cream (see recipe)
Teriyaki Sauce (see recipe)
1. Prepare an ice bath (ice and some water) and place a bowl on top.
2. In a small, heavy saucepan, heat half & half and heavy cream until bubbles form at edges.
3. While cream is heating, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
4. Slowly pour ½ cup of scalding milk mixture into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly so the eggs don’t curdle.
5. Gradually add egg yolk mixture back to remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly.
6. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
7. Immediately remove from the heat and transfer to the prepared ice bath bowl.
8. Cover and let chill overnight.
9. Transfer the chilled ice cream base to the chilled container of your ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
10. Once made, transfer the ice cream to a chilled container and store in the freezer.Teriyaki Sauce
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan.
2. Simmer on medium heat (approximately 10 – 12 minutes) until syrup-like consistency.
3. Let cool and store in air-tight container in room temperature.Assembly
1. Place 2 scoops of home-made vanilla ice cream on a waffle of your choice.
2. Drizzle Teriyaki sauce on top of ice cream and the waffle.
3. Garnish with whipped cream, fold and cut in half.