Traditional Cheese Fondue
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
1 ½ cup dry white wine (375ml)
1 Tbsp corn starch (15ml)
tsp kirsch (10ml)
2 cup Emmental cheese, coarsely grated (500ml)
2 cup Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated (500ml)
1 loaf of sourdough bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
1. Rub the inside of a 4 quart heavy fondue pot with the cut sides of the garlic to flavour the pot. Discard garlic. Add the wine to the pot and bring to a mild simmer over medium heat.
2. In a separate small bowl mix together the cornstarch and the kirsch.
3. Gradually add both cheeses to the wine pot and cook, stirring constantly in a zigzag pattern (not in a circular motion) this is done to prevent the cheese from clumping, do this until the cheese is just melted and creamy do not allow this mixture to boil.
4. Stir cornstarch mixture again and then stir into fondue. Bring fondue to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened about 5-8 minutes.
5. Transfer cheese fondue mixture to a fondue pot set over flame and serve with cubed bread for dipping.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site