Nothing beats a hearty bowl of chili. This slow cooker recipe is simple and hassle-free — the perfect thing to cook when you’re busy. Just toss it in the slow cooker, and let it go.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 8 hours
Total time: 8 hours 15 mins
1 lb lean ground beef
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion (chopped)
½ green pepper (chopped)
½ red pepper (chopped)
½ yellow pepper (chopped)
2 large carrots (chopped)
4 stalks of celery (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
Kernels from 2 cobs of corn
1 Jalapeno pepper (chopped)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 cup brewed coffee
1 cup red kidney beans
1 cup white beans
1 can (540 ml) crushed tomato
2 cans (1.5 litres) diced tomato
Salt & pepper
1 bunch of basil leaves (8-10 leaves)
- In a large pan, add oil, and heat to medium-high.
- Once heated, add meat, cooking until browned.
- Add garlic, onion, peppers, carrot, celery, and corn, along with spices. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until everything becomes fragrant, and onions begin to turn slightly translucent.
- In a slower cooker, add ingredients from your pan, then return the pan to your element, deglaze with coffee, and add to slow cooker.
- Add in the beans, and tomato, cooking on low for around 8 hours, or high for about 4 hours. If you are using unsoaked beans, you will likely need to cook for a longer time period on low, for the beans to soften up (I cooked the chili this way, and cooked for about 8 hours on low).
- Once cooked, serve with a some shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, diced red onion, and some nice bread.
Carlene and Bob Deutscher are the dynamic sibling duo behind BS’ in the Kitchen. While Carlene leans towards the sweeter side of things, baking up delicious desserts, you can count on Bob to cook up something savoury! Aside from blogging on BS’ in the Kitchen, Carlene works in marketing & communications, and sidelines as a lifestyle & wedding photographer, while Bob operates his own media company, with a focus on food photography, and videography!
Carlene and Bob Deutscher are part of the Lifestyle Blog Network family.