Chocolate is one of life’s simple pleasures; often times all you need is a piece of chocolate to put a smile on your face. But since we are familiar with the sweeter side of chocolate —be it baked goods or sugary desserts—we thought it was time to highlight the savoury ways to use this treat.
Chocolate and cocoa powder have been used as a savoury component in sauces and marinades, mostly in Mexican recipes, but many chefs are starting to incorporate it into main dishes. Adding chocolate can add a rich depth of flavour, creating the perfect contrast between sweet and savoury.
So here are some main-course recipes to help you celebrate National Chocolate Day!
- Mole Rojo
- Coffee and Chocolate Braised Short Ribs
- Hole Mole Burrito
- Lobster with Green & Black’s Organic White Chocolate Hazelnut Brûlée
- Chocolate Clams and Salsas
- Braised Duck in a Chocolate Wine Sauce
- Estella’s Mole Poblano Chicken
- Coffee Mole with Grilled Shrimp
- Quail with Savoury Pudding and Chocolate
- Cocoa Nib-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Green & Black’s Organic Dark Chocolate & Red Wine Jus
- Grilled Sardines, Crispy Halloumi, Watercress Salad & Figs, Thick Chocolate Mousse
- Mango, Avocado Salad with Lavender Vinaigrette and Shaved Chocolate