Albacore Tuna Crumpwich
- serves 4
This "crumpwich" is made of tuna steaks chopped into a tuna salad with fresh herbs and veggies, served with a Sriracha mayo and pickled vegetables between two halves of a crumpet.
4 cups olive oil blend (60/40 blend of canola oil and olive oil)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 bay leaves
¼ bunch thyme
2 lb(s) fresh wild albacore tuna, cut into 1-inch steaksSriracha Mayonnaise
½ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
1 tsp lime juiceAlbacore Tuna Salad
¼ Tbsp sesame oil
½ stalk celery, cubed (1/4 cup)
1 Tbsp finely chopped parsleyPickled Vegetables
¼ cup sugar
½ cup rice wine vinegar
1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 pinch red chili flakesAssembly
1 tsp toasted black sesame seeds
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a pot large enough to fit the tuna steaks, combine oil, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme.
2. To fry the tuna, heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot to 300ºF.
3. Lay tuna steaks into the oil and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes per side, until tuna is medium to medium rare.
4. Remove tuna steaks and set aside to cool.Sriracha Mayonnaise
1. To make the Sriracha mayonnaise, stir together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime juice; set aside.Albacore Tuna Salad
1. Once the tuna steaks have cooled, finely chop them and place them into a medium bowl.
2. Reserving 3 tablespoons of the Sriracha mayonnaise, stir remaining sauce into the chopped tuna with the sesame oil, celery, and parsley.
3. Mix well.
4. Season tuna mixture with salt and pepper, to taste, and set mixture aside until assembly.Pickled Vegetables
1. To make the pickled vegetables, stir sugar into the rice wine vinegar until dissolved.
2. Stir in cucumbers, red onions, and red chili flakes; set mixture aside for 5 to 10 minutes to pickle.
3. Once the mixture has set, drain off excess vinegar and set pickled vegetables aside until assembly.Assembly
1. To build the crumpwich, toast the crumpets.
2. Spread reserved Sriracha Mayonnaise onto the crumpets.
3. Top four of the crumpets with Albacore Tuna Salad, pickled vegetables, and toasted sesame seeds.
4. Close the sandwiches with the remaining four crumpets and serve.
Special equipment: Meat thermometer
Albacore Tuna salad should be eaten immediately and will not keep in the fridge.
Recipe courtesy of Justin Sledge of Queen Bee Café