- prep time10 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 4
A simple, starchy side from Roger Mooking that goes well with a variety of entrees.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 bunch green onions, whites minced, greens thinly sliced and reserved for garnish
1 ½ cup pearl barley
1 bay leaf
½ cup white wine
5 cup chicken stock, heated
3 Tbsp soy sauce
½ cup Parmesan, grated
1 Tbsp lemon zest, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a large high sided sauté pan over medium heat. Add whites of green onions and cook until tender and translucent. Add barley and bay leaf, stir to coat ingredients in oil.
2. Add white wine, allow to reduce, add half of chicken stock and soy sauce, stir.
3. Once barley has absorbed liquid, add remaining stock and stir. Once liquid is absorbed and barley is creamy and thick in texture, remove from heat.
4. Add Parmesan, lemon zest, season with salt and pepper, stir and set aside.
5. Garnish with sliced green onion before serving.