Beer, Ham & Cheese Soup
- prep time1 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 0
Take a trip to Lansing, Michigan, for the tempting Purple Carrot truck – farm fresh feasting at its finest.Yield: 4 litres.
1350 g onions, chopped
675 g carrots, chopped
½ bunch celery
3 smoked ham hocks
¼ bunch thyme
¼ bunch parsley
2 Tbsp blck peppercorns
6 L waterBeer, Ham & Cheese Soup
1 cup butter
2 cup flour
2-3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
3-4 bunches of leeks, chopped
½ bunch thyme, stems removed
4 L Ham Hock Stock
1 L Right Brain Brewery Pig Porter (or a similar beer)
450 g Michigan cheddar cheese, shredded
1 L cream
salt and pepper
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a stockpot. Reduce to a simmer and cook 6-8 hours. Strain and reserve liquid.
2. Yield: 4 litres.Beer, Ham & Cheese Soup
1. Make a roux by mixing the butter and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until combined.
2. Add leeks and parsnips and cook 5-7 minutes more.
3. Slowly whisk in the hot ham hock stock. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
4. Once thickened, add pig porter and bring back up to the point just before boiling. Don't let the beer come to a boil or it will taste bitter.
5. Purée all soup in batches, gradually adding cream and cheese.
6. Pour into a large enough container to hold all the soup. Season liberally with salt, pepper and sugar to taste.