Sometimes you just have to stick to a classic! I had the urge to make the banana bread I remember eating as a kid at my grandma’s house. But I definitely don’t have her recipe lying around and it certainly wouldn’t have been vegan, so I figured it out. This is a moist and delicious chocolate chip banana bread you can bake up on the weekend or give to someone special.
1 Tbsp ground flax
3 Tbsp water
1 1/2 cups spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 ripe bananas
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 tsp coconut sugar, for topping (optional)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 375°F.
2. Whisk together ground flax and water. Let it sit in the fridge for 15 minutes to thicken.
3. Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder, sea salt and cinnamon. Stir with a fork until well combined.
4. In a separate mixing bowl mash the ripe bananas to a puree. Then add in vanilla extract, melted coconut oil, non-dairy milk, coconut sugar, and the thickened flax mixture. Stir together until well combined.
5. Add the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and gently fold together until just combined, careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Transfer the mixture to an 8 x 4″ bread pan greased with a small pea size amount of coconut oil. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp coconut sugar on the top (optional).
7. Bake at 375°F for 50-55 mins. Stick a long skewer or toothpick in the centre to check if it’s done. It should come out relatively clean. Allow the banana bread to cool out of the pan on a rack before cutting into slices or wrapping.