Buckwheat Honey Glazed Lamb Shanks
- prep time20 min
- total time 185 min
- serves 6
Tender lamb shanks roasted to perfection with delicious root vegetables on the side.
6 lamb shanks, approximately 3/4 lb (350gr) each
2 Tbsp olive oil (30 ml)
1 Tbsp butter (15 ml)
2 Tbsp brandy (30 ml)
¼ cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar (60 ml)
½ cup buckwheat honey (125 ml)
2 cup chicken stock (500 ml)
1 orange, sliced
1 peeled onion, cut in half
2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
6 carrots, cut in 1 inch (2.5 cm) diagonal pieces
4 celery stalks, cut in 1 inch (2.5 cm) diagonal pieces
4 parsnip, cut in 1 inch slices (2.5 cm) diagonal pieces
2 parsley stems
Salt and pepper
1. Place rack in the centre of the oven. Pre-heat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
2. In a skillet, brown shanks in oil and butter a few at a time. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside in a 15x10 inch (38x25 cm) roasting pan.
3. Deglaze the skillet with brandy and vinegar. Reduce by half. Add honey, stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the roasting pan. Add orange, onion and garlic.
4. Cook 1 hour in oven, basting shanks regularly. Place the remainder of the vegetables around the shanks by pressing them well into the stock. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for approximately 45 minutes or until the shanks are well glazed.
5. Cover and continue cooking for 30 to 45 minutes or until the meat comes off the bone easily and the vegetables are tender.