4 cups (1 L) elbow macaroni
1 cup (250 mL) milk
½ - ¾ package old Cheddar cheese
1 ¼ cups Buffalo wing sauce, divided
2 cups (500 mL) shredded Salerno peperonato cheese
1 cup (250 mL) cubed cooked chicken
1 cup (250 mL) crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
2. Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium stockpot over medium-high heat, scald milk. Remove from heat.
4. Add cheddar cheese to hot milk, stirring until melted. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) Buffalo wing sauce.
5. Pour cheese sauce into the bottom of 13- x 9-inch (3 L) casserole dish.
6. Fill casserole dish with alternating layers of macaroni, peperonato cheese and chicken, finishing with layer of cheese.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese topping is lightly browned.
8. Remove from oven; top with reserved Buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is slightly melted.
Tips and Substitutions
My kids can’t really handle a lot of heat in their food, but it is easy to split the recipe and omit the buffalo sauce from their portion. Bake it separately in a small casserole dish.
Source and Credits
Recipe courtesy of Elizabeth Lampman, frugalmomeh.com