Caramel Crème Brûlée
- serves 6
Who knew Creme Brulee could be so simple? Try this delicious dessert tonight!
1 cup plus 6 tbsp of sugar
½ cup of water
2 cup of milk
1 cup of 35% whipping cream
1 Tbsp vanilla
pinch of salt
8 egg yolks
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Make a caramel with 1 cup of sugar and the water by placing them in a large saucepot and bringing to a boil without stirring. The sugar will dissolve and begin to bubble. Let it boil for about 5 minutes, watching carefully as the water boils off and it begins to turn yellow. Gently swirl until the sugar turns an even golden. Take it off of the heat before it gets brown. Quickly pour the milk and cream into the caramel along with the vanilla and salt and whisk until incorporated.
3. Whisk eggs and then slowly pour the caramel mixture into them, a little at a time, whisking constantly.
4. Pour into 6 ramekins or crème brulee dishes and bake in a hot water bath in the oven for 30 minutes, or until edges are set and centre is slightly jiggly.
5. Just prior to serving, sprinkle with the remaining sugar and caramelize with a blowtorch.