Chicken and Chickpea Tagine with Apricots and Harissa Sauce
- prep time5 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 4
This savoury and fruity chicken dish is bursting with colour and spices.
2 Tbsp canola oil
8 chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp ras al-hanut
1 pinch saffron, soaked in 1/4 cup warm water
1 cinnamon stick
1 ½ cups canned diced tomatoes, drained (15 oz can)
1 ½ cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained (15 oz can)
¾ cup dried apricots, sliced into half moons
Harissa Sauce, recipe follows
Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnishHarissa Sauce
½ cup crème fraîche
1 Tbsp harissa
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Heat canola oil in a large Dutch oven or a tagine over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and place in the hot pan, skin side down, in batches if needed; cook until golden brown. Turn the thighs over and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove chicken to a plate.
3. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the oil from the pan then add the olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the ras al-hanut and cook another 30 seconds. Add the saffron with the soaking liquid, cinnamon stick, tomatoes, chickpeas, and apricots and bring to a simmer. Nestle the chicken into the mixture and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on the stovetop or in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Do not remove the lid to check on the chicken until this time. Garnish each serving with a dollop of Harissa Sauce, parsley and cilantro.
4. *Cook's Note: Ras al-hanut is a mixture of many different spices used in Moroccan cooking. It is available at spice markets or online.Harissa Sauce
1. *Cook's Note: Harissa is a fiery paste of chiles, garlic, and spices. It is available at specialty markets.
2. Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl and let stand at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.