Chocolate Stout Cakes
- prep time30 min
- total time 90 min
- serves 4
These cakes are a croud favourite so be sure to have plenty on hand!
1 ½ cup Stout beer
½ cup 35% cream
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
4 large eggs
2 tsp real vanilla extract
4 cup French bread with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Bring Stout, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar, to simmer in a medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup chocolate chips and whisk until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
2. Whisk eggs and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in cooled chocolate mixture.
3. Add bread cubes and remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips to custard and toss to coat. Transfer to 1 1/2-quart-capacity shallow round (1.4 L), square or oval baking dish that you have pre-greased with butter or oil. The batter will come close to the top of the pan. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over top.
4. Bake until custard thickens and center is just set, about 50 - 60 minutes.
5. Serve warm, cut a circle using a round biscuit cutter. Garnish with partially whipped 35% cream, lightly sweetened with sugar.