Eat St. Taco Waffle
- serves 4
Recipe courtesy of The Gaufre Gourmet.
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tsp salt
3 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
⅓ cup butter, chilled
1 cup buttermilk
⅔ cup honey
1 small can chopped jalapenos, to taste (you can also use green chilies if you don't like it so hot)Shredded Chicken
1 lb(s) boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 onion, julienned
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
red pepper flakes, to taste
salt and pepper, to tastePico de Gallo
2 tomatoes, finely diced
1 small onion, finely diced
¼ bunch cilantro, minced
pepper, to tasteGuacamole
pinch each kosher salt and pepper
½ Tbsp cilantro, minced
2 Tbsp Pico de Gallo (see above) or your favourite salsa
1 - 2 dashes hot sauce (we like Cholula)The Plate
4 Cornbread Jalapeno Waffles (above)
Shredded Chicken (above)
Pico de Gallo (above)
salsa verde, to taste
¼ cup sour cream
4 oz Cotija cheese, crumbled
cilantro, to garnish
1. Heat waffle iron.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the butter into the dry mixture. Toss to coat the butter with the flour.
3. Combine the buttermilk, honey, egg and jalapenos in a separate bowl and whisk together.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray and drop by ¾ cup portions onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown as per your waffle maker directions.Shredded Chicken
1. Put chicken in a saucepan with onion and garlic. Add enough water to cover chicken by 2 inches. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for an hour until chicken will shred.
2. Reserve 1 cup of water that chicken was cooked in. Drain chicken then shred.
3. Add chicken and reserved water back to saucepan along with cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook to reduce liquid.Pico de Gallo
1. Put diced tomatoes and onions in a bowl. Squeeze lime over it all. Add cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.Guacamole
1. Peel and mash avocado. Add remaining ingredients and mix to combine.The Plate
1. Top each waffle with ¼ of the shredded chicken, ¼ of the guacamole and Pico de Gallo to taste. Finish with your favorite salsa verde, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of Cotija cheese. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!