- serves 12
The 'fish' in fish wings come from the fish sauce used in the marinade. The wings are actually chicken, served with a sticky sauce!
24 chicken wings
¼ cup fish sauce
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup (or so) of Sambal or your favourite chili garlic sauce
¼ cup freshly grated frozen ginger
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF and turn on your convection fan if you have one. Line a baking tray with parchment paper for speedy clean up.
2. Whisk the fish sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, chili garlic sauce and ginger together. Flip, toss and coat the chicken wings. Marinate overnight if possible. When ready arrange on a baking tray and reserve any leftover sauce. Bake until cooked through but still juicy, 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile pour the remaining sauce into a pot over medium-high heat. Heat it through then continue cooking until it thickens noticeably to a syrup like consistency, about 5 minutes.
4. Toss the cooked wings with the sticky sauce, serve and share!
5. Option: For maximum flavour, marinate the wings overnight.