Fisherman’s Pie with Potato Gratin
- prep time15 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 4
A luxurious fish pie with two types of fish and a delicious tarragon sauce from Roger Mooking.
2 ½ lb(s) white fish bones, rinsed
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
¼ fennel, thinly sliced
3 bay leaves
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 ½ cup white wine
3 cup waterTarragon Sauce
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter, softened
¾ cup 35% cream
4 sprig fresh tarragon
fish stock (see recipe)
1 cup milk
¼ cup butter
3 lb(s) white potatoes, peeled, quartered and boiled in salted water
2 egg yolks
salt and pepperVegetable Filling
1 Tbsp butter
2 leeks, trim roots and green tops, wash and dice remaining
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp Fish Stock (see recipe)
1 cup frozen peas
salt and pepperFisherman’s Pie Assembly
2 fillets 7-8 oz fillets of catfish, edges trimmed and cut in half down centre
16 21/25 shrimp, peeled and devained
1. Place all ingredients in a large pot over high heat.
2. Bring to a boil, skim impurities and reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, strain stock into a large saute pan.Tarragon Sauce
1. Mix flour and butter together into a smooth paste (buerre manier), set aside.
2. Place Fish Stock in a large sauté pan, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Whisk in buerre manier, ensuring there are no lumps. Once liquid has reduced by 1/3, add cream and whisk.
3. Add tarragon, season with salt, remove from heat and set-aside until assembling Fisherman’s Pie.Potato Gratin
1. Heat milk and butter together.
2. While potatoes are still hot, press potatoes through a ricer.
3. Add warmed milk and butter mixture to potatoes, fold to incorporate.
4. Add egg yolks, mix and season with salt and pepper.
5. Set aside for Fisherman’s Pie recipe.Vegetable Filling
1. Heat butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute leeks until tender and translucent, add carrots and cook until just tender.
2. Add Fish Stock and peas, season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove from heat and set aside.Fisherman’s Pie Assembly
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Place oven proof dishes on a tray.
3. Ladle equal amounts of half of Tarragon Sauce on the bottom of each dish. Place catfish fillets in the centre of the dishes. Divide shrimp equally among dishes, season with salt and pepper. Divide Vegetable Filling over fish and shrimp, then ladle equal amounts of Tarragon Sauce over. Top with equal amounts of Potato Gratin and spread evenly to cover the filling.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, then broil until potatoes are golden brown and remove from heat.