Ginger Pot Roast
- serves 0
4 lb(s) pork picnic shoulder, bone-in
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
4 clove garlic, smashed
2 Tbsp ginger, smashed
3 cinnnamon sticks
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp fennel seeds
½ tsp cumin
2 bay leaves
2 355ml bottles ginger beer
1-2 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp molasses
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Season pork with salt.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat; sear pork on all sides, approximately 7-10 minutes.
4. Remove pork, set aside.
5. Add onion, garlic and ginger, cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
6. Add all spices and toast until fragrant.
7. Deglaze with ginger beer and chicken stock.
8. Add molasses, bring up to a simmer.
9. Add pork, cover pot with lid and place in oven.
10. Braise until pork is tender, turning pork over half way through cooking, approximately 2 ½ hours.
11. Turn pork over half way through cooking.
12. Once pork is tender, remove from pot.
13. Remove fat cap, divide meat into 2 inch pieces and set aside.
14. With a fine strainer, pour liquid into a large wide-based pot.
15. Reduce braising liquid by 2/3 over high heat until thickened and will coat back of a spoon
16. Glaze pork in sauce before serving.