Greek Salad with Popcorn Cheese
- prep time8 min
- total time 10 min
- serves 4
Try something new in your Greek salad with the surprising crunch of popcorn cheese.
2 large tomatoes, cubed
2 Lebanese cucumbers, cubed
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup of Kalamata olives, pitted and halved (250 ml)
1 ripe avocado, cubed
½ cup of fresh dill, finely chopped (125 ml)
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil (60 ml)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (5 ml)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup of Kefalotyri cheese, cubed (250 ml)
1. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 375F (190C).
2. Mix all the vegetables in a large bowl with the dill, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice.
3. Deep fry the cheese at 375F (190C) for approximately 2 minutes .
4. Toss salad and garnish with fried cheese on top.
5. Note : You can replace the kefalotyri cheese with a sharp cheddar cheese.
6. If you don’t have a deep fryer, heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of oil in a pan at medium-high heat. Carefully place cheese in pan and lightly fry on both sides until golden, about 1 minute.
7. Cheese must be served immediately or it will harden again within a couple minutes.