½ cup (125 mL) cider vinegar
½ cup (125 mL) lemon juice
½ cup (125 mL) tamari or soy sauce
½ cup (125 mL) light brown sugar
¼ cup (60 mL) mashed chipotle chilies
1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard
4 cloves cloves garlic, minced
1 whole chicken (breasts cut in 2 to 3 strips; drumstick, thigh and wing seperated)
¼ cup (60 mL) unbleached organic flour
¼ cup (60 mL) almonds, finely ground
¼ cup (60 mL) pumpkin seeds, finely ground
¼ cup (60 mL) sunflower seeds, finely ground
¼ cup (60 mL) hemp seeds
2 Tbsp (30 mL) white sesame seeds
2 tsp (10 mL) salt
⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
4 eggs, well beaten
1 cup (250 mL) vegetable oil
half stick butter
1. In large bowl, mix together vinegar, lemon juice, tamari, brown sugar, chipotle chilies, mustard and garlic until well combined.
2. Add chicken, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
1. In bowl, mix together flour, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, half of the salt and the cayenne pepper.
2. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs and remaining salt.
3. In cast-iron skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. (If deep-frying, increase oil to appropriate amount for size of fryer. Set fryer at 325˚F/160˚C.)
4. Dredge chicken in egg mixture, then in seed mixture, pressing to coat. Coat each piece right before frying to keep crust intact. (If you coat too far in advance, breading will fall off when you turn the chicken.)
5. Add chicken to skillet. (You should hear slight sizzle; if you don’t, temperature is too low and chicken will absorb too much oil.) Cook, turning after 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown and instant-read thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°F (74°C). Avoid cooking large portions in skillet at once, as it will take chicken too long to cook and run risk of burning. (If deep-frying, submerge chicken in oil, make sure not to overcrowd fryer. Move it around a bit to ensure even cooking.)
6. If chicken is browning too quickly and inside is underdone, finish it in 400˚F (200˚C) oven for about 4 to 5 minutes.
7. When chicken is cooked, remove and drain on rack or paper towels. Add more salt to taste, if desired, while chicken is hot.
8. Serve with vegetable slaw or with mashed potatoes, biscuits and collard greens.