Island Thyme Chicken
- serves 6
Have a taste of island life with this delicious recipe! Chicken breasts marinated for 24 hours for maximum flavour and roasted in coconut milk.
Equipment needed: Meat thermometer
Courtesy of Kathleen Duncan of The Reef
6 chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
1 onion, sliced
3 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp grated ginger root
5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp seasoning salt (or to taste)
2 14 oz cans 18% coconut milk or coconut cream
1. Combine the above ingredients (minus the coconut milk) and coat the chicken breasts.
2. Refrigerate and let marinate for 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Place chicken in a roasting pan and cover with coconut milk and then foil.
5. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Remove chicken from pan.
7. Take remaining cooking liquid and strain into a heavy bottomed pot.
8. Place pot on medium heat and reduce sauce, whisking periodically to incorporate the juices, until it has a cappuccino colour and has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
9. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with mashed potatoes and your favourite vegetables.