Jerk Turkey Legs
- serves 4
Ayesha's jerk turkey legs are made with a couple of Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers for a sweet, authentic Caribbean heat.
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
¾ tsp ground allspice
Juice of 3 limes, plus wedges for serving
3 cloves garlic
1 - 2 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, stemmed
1 (1-inch) piece peeled ginger
1 bunch scallions, roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 turkey drumsticks (about 4 1/2 lbs total)
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine the oil, thyme, brown sugar, allspice, lime juice, garlic, chile peppers, ginger, scallions, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
2. Coat the turkey legs in the jerk marinade and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
4. Spread the turkey legs on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until the skin is golden brown all over and the turkey is cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat, avoiding bone, should register at least 165ºF), 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Serve the turkey legs topped with the cilantro, with lime wedges on the side.