"Minute of Chinook" Salmon Salad
- prep time30 min
- total time 66 min
- serves 4
A minute is all it takes to broil these escalope of salmon to perfection.
4 salmon skins (each about 3-inches wide by 5-inches long)
kosher saltMarinade Dressing
½ cup (125 mL) soy sauce
juice and zest of 1/2 large naval orange
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) dark brown sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) seeded and minced jalapeno
1 Tbsp (15 mL) grated ginger rootMinute of Salmon Salad
1 piece (5-inches long) skinless centre-cut Chinook salmon filet, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices to yield 16 slices
4 cup (1 L) mixed baby greens
1 gala apple, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
¼ cup (60 mL) toasted sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp (15 mL) toasted hemp seeds
4 piece reserved Salmon Skin Crackling, divided
½ cup (125 mL) reserved Marinade Dressing, divided
2 Tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup (60 mL) slightly thinned creme fraiche
1. Place skins skin-side-up on a parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet, season with salt, cover with parchment paper and place a slightly smaller baking sheet on top.
2. Bake on middle rack of a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven (180 degrees Celsius) until skins are very crispy, about 30 minutes.Marinade Dressing
1. Whisk ingredients together and set aside until ready to use.Minute of Salmon Salad
1. Slightly overlapping and fanning out, lay 4 slices of salmon on each of 4 pieces of parchment paper, set on a rimmed baking sheet, and broil 6-inches from element for 1 minute.
2. Meanwhile, toss together mixed greens, apple, sunflower and hemp seeds, 3 pieces of crackling crumbled into bite-size pieces, ¼ cup (60 mL) reserved marinade and oil.
3. To Plate: Slide cooked salmon parcels onto each of 4 salad plates, gently flip over, and remove parchment paper. Spoon 1 tablespoon of remaining marinade over each salmon parcel and drizzle with crème fraîche. Divide salad on top of salmon parcels, break remaining crackling into 4 pieces and place on top to garnish and serve immediately.