Pulled Pork and Kimchi Sandwich
- prep time30 min
- total time 510 min
- serves 6-8
Chuck Hughes' tender smoked pulled pork and kimchi sandwich, served with a sweet and tangy glaze, will make everyone’s mouth water.
1 5 lb(s) pork shoulder
Whiskey, Hickory or Apple wood chips
Water to soak the wood chipsBraising the Pulled Pork Glaze
1 cup molasses
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sweet chili sauce
½ cup rice vinegar
½ cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepperAssembly
8 thick slices of egg bread
2 cup grated Mozzarella
Kimchi, to taste (Check out Chuck’s recipe)
1. Soak the chips in water for 30 minutes.
2. Using a smoker, smoke the pork for 2 hours using manufacturer’s directions. Remove the meat from the smoker. *
3. Cook’s note: The smoking part can be skipped if you don’t have a smoker. You can also use a BBQ to smoke the pork.Braising the Pulled Pork
1. Preheat oven at 150 C (300 F).
2. Season the pork with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, sear the pork on all sides.
3. Pour half of the glaze on the meat. Cover and cook in the oven for about 6 hours or until the meat falls off the bone.
4. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the meat from the skillet and use a fork to pull at the pork meat. It will come off in threads. Set aside.
6. Skim the fat at the surface of the braising liquid. Pour the remaining glaze in the skillet and cook on medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until it thickens.Glaze
1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until evenly combined. Reserve half to pour over the pulled pork when finished cooking.Assembly
1. Garnish the sandwich with cheese, pulled pork, the reduced glaze, kimchi and more cheese on top. Grill in a panini press.