Pumpkin Apple Pie
- prep time15 min
- total time 115 min
- serves 8
Change up your average pumpkin pie by adding two kinds of apples to the mix!
1 (9-inch) deep-dish homemade or store-bought pie shell, unbaked
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Gala apples, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 McIntosh apple, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
⅛ tsp ground cloves
1 (15-oz) can pumpkin puree
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar
1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
Whipped cream, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF and place a rack in the center of the oven.
2. Fit a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with the pie dough. Then trim and crimp the dough, and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Melt the butter in a medium skillet set over medium heat, then toss in the Gala apples, McIntosh apples, 1/2 teaspoon of the nutmeg, the cinnamon, ginger, cloves and a pinch of salt. Cook until the apples begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a bowl, add the pumpkin puree and whisk in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk, eggs and a pinch of salt.
5. Remove the pie plate from the refrigerator and fill the bottom with the sauteed apple mixture. Pour the pumpkin filling over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Bake until pumpkin is set, 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes.
6. Cool, and then slice the pie and top with whipped cream if using to serve.
Special equipment: a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate