Quinoa Oatmeal Bars
- prep time25 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 9
These nutty and seedy squares make terrific after-school snacks.
Courtesy of Trina Gallop Bank, willcookforshoes.ca, Winnipeg
1 cup (250 mL) uncooked quinoa
1 cup (250 mL) old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup (125 mL) hemp hearts
¾ cup (174 mL) almonds, chopped or slivered
½ cup (125 mL) natural peanut butter
½ cup (125 mL) honey
1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
Pinch of cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line 12×8 pan with parchment paper.
2. Add quinoa, oatmeal and almonds to baking dish; stir to combine. Toast in oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is just starting to turn brown, being careful not to overcook. Let cool.
3. In large bowl, briefly microwave peanut butter and honey, until liquid enough to combine easily. Stir in canola oil and cinnamon. Add quinoa mixture and hemp hearts to peanut butter mixture; stir until combined.
4. Scrape batter into parchment paper–lined baking pan, spreading evenly. It won’t be very thick but that’s OK.
5. Bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool; cut into squares.
6. If you have a gluten allergy or intolerance, make sure you use rolled oats that are certified gluten free.