1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
Pinch sea salt
4 red onions (small or medium), tops and bottoms removed
½ tsp (2 mL) chopped fresh herbs (such as thyme or oregano)
⅓ cup (75 mL) walnut oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) cider or sherry vinegar
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) fancy molasses
Sea salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
3. Starting at top and stopping 1/2 inch (1 cm) from bottom, slice an “X” into each onion cutting it in quarters
4. Place onions on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gently pull wedges slightly apart; drizzle with oil mixture.
5. Bake for 50 minutes, or until fork-tender. (Cooking time will vary depending on size and freshness of onions.)
6. Sprinkle with herbs and drizzle with Walnut Dressing just before serving.
1. In mason jar, combine walnut oil, cider vinegar, molasses, salt and pepper. Shake well.
2. Drizzle over onions.