Saffron Currant Pilau
- serves 8
4 ½ cup chicken stock (1.13 L)
1 tsp saffron (5 ml)
¼ cup unsalted butter (60 ml)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
3 cup Basmati rice (750 ml)
½ cup dried currants (125 ml)
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted (125 ml)
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander (30 ml)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat an oven to 325°F.
2. Heat the chicken stock and saffron over medium-high heat in a pot on the stove. When hot, cover with a lid and let infuse for 10 minutes.
3. In a heavy sautoir, melt the butter over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion, garlic and season. Sauté until the onions are soft but not brown.
4. Add the rice and currants and stir to coat with the fat.
5. Add the hot, saffron-infused chicken stock and stir. Cover the pot and immediately place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and keep the lid on. Let rest for 10 minutes.
7. Pour the rice into a shallow serving dish, fluffing with a fork. Garnish with the toasted almonds and chopped coriander and serve.