Smoked Apple Crumble
- serves 4 - 6
Requires 4 to 6 ramekins, a smoker with hickory or applewoods chips (optional).
Courtesy of Cam Dyment of TheSmoke.
1 cup + 1 1/2 cups tsp all-purpose flour
½ cup white sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
4 - 5 medium MacIntosh apples (1 1/2 lbs), peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch wedgesCrumble
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
½ cup butter, melted
ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF or smoker to 180ºF.
2. In a large bowl, combine 1 ½ teaspoons flour, white sugar, and cinnamon; add apples and toss to coat.
3. Divide filling between ungreased ramekins.Crumble
1. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and baking powder, mixing well.
2. Pour melted butter over mixture and stir to combine.
3. Spoon ¼ cup of the crumble over each ramekin of apple filling.
4. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until tops are golden brown, and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
5. If using a smoker, place ramekins on rack and smoke for 1 hour.
6. Remove ramekins and serve apple crumble immediately with a scoop of ice cream.
7. Note: Leftover crumble tastes great on ice cream.