- serves 8
8 piquillo peppers
4 oz Manchego cheese (3-month is best), cut into 8 cubesAnchovy & Tomato Skewer
8 anchovy fillets
8 grape tomatoes
8 flat-leaf parsley leavesChorizo & Date Skewer
8 slices slices cured chorizo sausage
8 pitted medjool datesSpanish Tortilla With Chorizo
1 lb(s) fresh Chorizo sausage, out of its casing
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices (1/2 cm thick)
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 large eggsSmoked Paprika Sauce
¾ cup chicken stock
1 oz dry sherry
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp smoked paprika
1. Place a cube of cheese and a piquillo pepper on each skewer and chill.Anchovy & Tomato Skewer
1. Skewer anchovy fillet around grape tomato, with a parsley leaf between them.Chorizo & Date Skewer
1. Place slice of chorizo inside pitted date and skewer to secure.Spanish Tortilla With Chorizo
1. Heat an 8-inch (20 cm) pan over medium heat and cook sausage through. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Return pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Layer potato slices around pan, seasoning lightly with salt and alternating with onions. Cook slowly until potatoes are tender (lift occasionally to prevent browning). They should not stick together. Remove the potatoes from pan, draining oil (except for 2 Tbsp (25 mL).
3. In a bowl whisk eggs together and add potatoes and sausage to coat. Heat the reserved oil in same pan over medium-high heat and add potato mixture to pan, spreading it evenly. Lower heat to medium and when egg begins to brown, remove pan from heat, top with a plate, invert and flip tortilla back into pan with browned side up. Cook for about 10 more minutes, until evenly cooked through.
4. Remove from pan and serve warm or at room temperature (traditionally at room temperature). Slice into wedges to serve.Smoked Paprika Sauce
1. Bring chicken stock up to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk sherry, cornstarch and smoked paprika. Whisk sherry mixture into chicken stock and return to a simmer, stirring until thickened. Season to taste and serve warm with tortilla.