Sweet Potato Soup with Matchstick Fries & Frizzled Leeks
- serves 0
This soup with crispy fries and leeks is comfort food heaven!
3 large sweet potatoes, cut in chunks
3 leeks, rough chopped
A pinch of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
A nub of butter
6 cup chicken stock
1 big knuckle of fresh ginger (about 1 tablespoon peeled and grated)
2 cup waterMatchstick Fries and Frizzled Leeks
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes (or another medium starch potato)
3 inch piece leek, julienned
A dusting of potato starch
canola oil for frying
A sprinkle of salt
1. Peel and quarter the sweet potatoes.
2. Wash leeks well and drain, remove any damaged outside peel, remove the hairy white tips from the end, and cut leeks into 1 inch slices. (leave one 3inch section aside to be fried for the garnish, later)
3. Soften leeks in a large pot with a nub of butter. Do not brown.
4. Add 6 cups of stock or water.
5. Add sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil until cooked through --just softer than fork tender. Using an immersion blender, puree the ingredients until they are thoroughly blended.
6. Add the grated ginger, and test for consistency. If too thick add a bit more water. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper as needed.
7. Place in a bowl and garnish with a mound of hot crispy matchstick potatoes & frizzled leeks.Matchstick Fries and Frizzled Leeks
1. Peel and cut potatoes into matchstick slices.
2. Rinse them under cold water in a strainer to remove excess starch. Let drain well. Pat dry. In a deep fryer set at 350 degrees, Fry for 3 – 5 minutes submerged in canola oil until a nice deep golden brown. Drain on a paper towel or absorbent cloth. Hit them with a sprinkle of salt and pepper right away.
3. Cut strips of leek into julienne slices similar to potato. In a small bowl place 2 tablespoons of starch and lightly dust the leek pieces in it to help prevent burning. Fry the 3 inch strips of leek in same oil until they are just golden – about one minute, to make ‘frizzled leeks’.
4. Add to your bowl of matchstick fries. Mix them together. Garnish in a little mound on top of the soup.