Vegetable Tempura 3
- serves 4
Veggies coated with a crispy shell are delicious at a cocktail party.
8 cauliflower florets
8 strips yellow bell pepper
24 snow pea pods, trimmed
8 sweet potato sticks, about 1/4 inch thick and 3 inches long
32 8-inch wood or bamboo skewersDipping Sauce
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1/3 soy sauce
2 Tbsp mirin
2 Tbsp lime juice
Grated zest of 1 lime
1 tsp Grated orange zest
Sambal oelek or other hot sauce to tasteBatter
¼ cup cornstarch
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup ice water
4 egg whites
1. Spear the vegetables on the ends of the skewers, the snow peas 3 per skewer and the other vegetables 1 piece per skewer. Set aside.Dipping Sauce
1. In a saucepan, bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil. Allow to cool. Add the remaining ingredients. Set aside.Batter
1. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
2. In another bowl, combine the water and egg whites. Add the dry ingredients and whisk for 1 minute or until batter is smooth.
3. Heat the oil, setting the deep fryer to high. Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet.
4. Dip the vegetable skewers in the batter. Fry 5 or 6 skewers at a time, letting the ends stick out. Fry until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Cool slightly on the rack before serving.
5. Serve with the sauce.