Vegetarian No-Pasta Lasagna
- serves 6
10 Italian tomatoes, halved and seeded
2 clove garlic, chopped
tsp dried oregano
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup finely chopped shallots
½ cup firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 heads romaine lettuce
1-1/2 cups artichoke hearts packe din oil, drained and chopped
½ lb(s) asparagus, trimmed and blanched
3 cup grated mozzarella
salt and pepper
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 120°C (250°F). Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, oregano and half of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place the tomatoes in the pan, cut side down. Bake about 2 hours. Allow to cool. Pull off the skin by hand.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, soften the shallots in the remaining oil. Add the tofu and continue cooking until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add oil as needed. Allow to cool partially, then add half of the ricotta. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. In a bowl, combine the artichokes and remaining ricotta. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. In a pot of boiling salted water, blanch the lettuce leaves for 1 to 2 minutes. Immerse in a bowl of ice water. Drain and lay the leaves side by side on a clean tea towel. Set aside.
6. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
7. Spread half of the tomatoes on the bottom of a 25 x 18-cm (10 x 7-inch) Pyrex baking dish. Cover with a layer of lettuce leaves. Cover with the tofu and ricotta mixture. Cover with another layer of lettuce leaves. Lay the asparagus on top and add 250 ml (1 cup) mozzarella. Cover with yet another layer of lettuce leaves and add the artichoke mixture. End with a layer of lettuce leaves and sprinkle with the remaining tomatoes and mozzarella.
8. Bake until the lasagna is heated through and the cheese on top is golden, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.