Nothing says summer like strawberry shortcake! Sweet cashew-coconut crust is packed with a creamy strawberry filling in these raw vegan strawberry shortcake pies. They’re delicious, healthy and completely satisfying — perfect for an outdoor party or an intimate get-together with friends. Tip: you can choose to forgo the crust and serve the filling in custard cups or martini glasses for a quick yet beautiful result.
Total Time: 12 minutes
Serves: 4 (4 mini tarts or 1 medium pie)
For the crust:
1 cup cashews
1 cup dried coconut
2/3 cup dates
For the filling:
2 cups cashews
2 cups strawberries (to blend)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 cups strawberries (reserve)
1. To make the crust, place coconut and cashews in food processor. Process until flour-like.
2. Add the dates to the food processor mixture. Process again for 3 minutes. Stop processing once it sticks together when pinched.
3. Press crust mixture firmly into tart pan(s). (Press crust down very firmly so it will stay together. If it won’t stick together, you haven’t processed long enough.) Set aside.
4. Place filling ingredients (except cashews and the final 4 cups of strawberries) in a blender. Blend until smooth.
5. Add cashews and blend again until smooth. Pour filling mixture into large bowl.
6. Finely chop the remaining strawberries. Add to filling mixture and stir gently with a spoon.
7. Spoon mixture into tarts and enjoy immediately.
– If preparing in advance, store the pie crust and filling separately, then spoon filling into pie crusts just before eating.
– To make a smaller batch, feel free to halve the recipe. It won’t be enough to make an entire pie crust (using a standard 8″ pie dish), but if you have 2 mini pie pans they will work perfectly.
Laura-Jane The Rawtarian is a leading creator of simple, satisfying raw vegan recipes.